Dr. George Athanassakos is a Professor of Finance and the Ben Graham Chair in Value Investing at Ivey Business School, which he joined in July 2004. He is also the Founder & Director of The Ben Graham Centre for Value Investing (www.bengrahaminvesting.ca). In addition to developing courses and carrying out research on value investing themes, the Center is also offering apprenticeships to students via out Ivey Value Fund, as well as organizing events such as academic symposiums, practitioner conferences and the stock picking competitions.Prior to joining Ivey, Dr. Athanassakos spent a number of years at various research-related positions with banking and trust companies in Canada and Greece, and taught at York University and Wilfrid Laurier University. He has a BA in Economics and Business Administration from The School of Industrial Studies of Thessalonica, Greece, and an MA in Economics, an MBA and a PhD in Finance from York University. The Financial Planning Standards Council has bestowed Dr. Athanassakos with the Fellow of FPSC™ distinction for his outstanding contribution to furthering FPSC’s mission and for advancing the financial planning profession. Dr. Athanassakos has published in numerous academic journals including Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Journal of Financial Research, Financial Analysts’ Journal, Journal of Economics and Business, and others. His books include Derivatives Fundamentals, Equity Valuation: A Guide to Discounted Cash Flow and Relative Valuation Methods, and Value Investing: From Theory to Practice. Dr. Athanassakos has also written articles for the Financial Post and currently writes, as a guest columnist, about investments and economic and financial topics in The Globe and Mail, Canada’s largest daily newspaper, and the Canadian Investment Review.
- “Earnings Quality and Book-to-Market in the Cross Section of Expected Returns” (with V. Athanasakou), Multinational Finance Journal, Vol. 23, No. 3/4, 2019, pp. 169-210.
- “Individual Phycology and Investment Style” (with L. Ackert and B. Church), International Journal of Behavioural Accounting and Finance, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2015, pp. 175-201.
- “Separating Winners from Losers Among Value and Growth Stocks in Different US Exchanges: 1969 -2011”, Journal of Investment Management,Vol. 12, No. 4, 2014, pp. 68-104.
- “Are negative P/E ratio firms different than positive P/E firms? The case of interlisted vs. non-interlisted firms in Canada”, Journal of Financial Perspectives, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2014, pp. 173-183.
- “Are Negative P/E and P/B ratio Firms Different?”, Journal of Business & Financial Affairs, Vol. 2, No.1, 2013, pp. 1-4.
- “Separating Winners from Losers Among Value and Growth Stocks in Canada: Another Step in the Value Investing Process“, Journal of Applied Research in Accounting and Finance (JARAF), Vol. 8, No. 1, June 2013, pp. 17-40.
- “The Performance, Pervasiveness and Determinants of Value Premium in Different US Exchanges: 1985-2006”, Journal of Investment Management, Vol. 9, No. 3, Third Quarter 2011, pp. 33-73.
- “Do Value Investors Add Value?” The Journal of Investing, Vol. 20, No. 3, Summer 2011, pp. 86-100.
- “Seasonality in Value vs. Growth Stock Returns and the Value Premium”, Journal of Financial and Economic Practice, 2010, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 71-94.